Norton Postcards


About the collection

The Woodhams Stone Collection includes a fantastic selection of postcards of Norton from 1900. These include main shopping thoroughfares and street scenes, church and chapels, schools and horse racing stables.

A selection of the postcards is shown here. The full collection is available to view by appointment.

img220

Street Views

Langton Road c1916

An early 1900s scene. Taken at the front of St. Peter’s Church and looking towards St. Peter’s Lodge. [MALWS:2018.1411]


Little Wood street c1913

In the distance, at the end of Little Wood Street, the original Hyde Park public house can be seen. [MALWS:2018.1403]


Park Road c1920

Park Road formerly known as Love Lane. [MALWS:2018.1399]


Mill Street

Mill Street was known as Green Lane until 1857. At one end, Victoria Mill was constructed, hence the current name. [MALWS:2018.1396]


Welham Road c1928

Taken near the Bark Knotts Terrace / Springfield Garth junction, looking towards Whitewall. [MALWS:2018.2182]


Sutton Street c1921

The bottom of Sutton Street is pictured, before many new houses were built on the open ground in front of this row. [MALWS:2018.1409]


Buildings

Buckrose Hotel

In 1899, the Buckrose Hotel and the adjoining shops were built in Commercial Street by Henry Searle. The shop next to the Buckrose Hotel was operated by Searle and known as the Times Store.